Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 1 of Torture!

I have finally succumbed to my sister's determination to get healthy.  She really hasn't nagged me, just the thought of her getting up at 4:45 in the morning to drive to the YMCA practically in my front yard to exercise has bothered me.  She and I are both overweight.  Her knees and hips are impacted.  I'm just really tired of outgrowing clothes at my age. 

So, last night I set the alarm for 4:45.  This morning wasn't so bad.  I got up got ready and made it to the Y at 5 am.  I'm not a swimmer, and neither is she, but this is really great exercise that is easy on the joints, so we kicked with kick boards like the little kids in beginner swim lessons.  There were other people there, swimming lap after lap of freestyle as we shared a lane and kicked.  I can't see a thing without my glasses, so when she informed me that we had been swimming for all of 5 minutes, I almost cried.  But I kept going.  I flipped on my back and kicked, I walked a little, but mostly I kicked on my stomach with that kick board.  She made me stay there for 45 minutes! 

Exiting the pool without my glasses and those poor, rubbery legs wasn't fun.  Neither was exiting the building in 21 degree air with wet hair, but I had to get back home to start my day.  I must admit, having worn my body out like that will make me question what I eat.  I certainly am not going to torture myself and then chow down on just anything.  We'll see about that.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get up tomorrow!

On the knitting front, I'm almost finished with the back to my husband's sweater.  Parent pick-up lanes and piano lessons allow for wonderful knitting time.  I am also listening to books on my iPad.  Right now I'm almost finished with Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins.  I loved the first book, The Hunger Games.  There is a third and final book which has been met with mixed reviews.  I'll see.  I'm still waiting for it to become available from the library as an audiobook.

In addition, I have to mention the wonderful knitting project bags I recently ordered from an Etsy vendor.  The store is Funtific and the items are of the best quality, reasonable prices and FREE SHIPPING!  I couldn't be more pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment