Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Update ~ August 24, 2012

Good Morning!  We've got a little bit more than a week left before school starts.  I'll be the proud mother of a senior and a freshman in high school.  Where has the time gone?  I really enjoy spending time with my kids, and realize that time is becoming more and more precious.  I actually sit in the room with them while they play video games and I knit or spin.  Here are the fiber activities for the past week:


What's Finished ~
  • My Sparkly Pink Slipper Shawl is finished and blocked.  The pattern was designed by Wendy, of the Knit 1, Heart Too video podcast, and she did a great job!  I'll probably knit another one.  My grandmother will be thrilled at Christmas and that's one gift I can cross off my list.



What's going on ~  (I took the pictures this morning, since boy #1 has his first college visit today and I'm not sure when I'll get back.  It's cloudy, so I put the socks out on the roof from the bathroom window and leaned out to get the shot!)


  • I started the Tumble Twins socks for my niece for Christmas.  This is a KAL with  the Dramatic Knits podcast through Sept. 22, so I needed to get these going.  My niece wanted short socks, so these shouldn't take too long.  The cuff is a picot edge, so I used a larger needle for the tacking of the edging.  The yarn is so dark it was hard to get a good picture.  This one's in my Piddleloop bag.  Certain bags sold in this shop with animal patterns include a donation to a rescue charity.

  • I haven't spun anymore of the Rambouillet.  I really haven't enjoyed it and want to spin something I really love right now.

What's up next ~  I'm still planning to work on the scarf and hat for my younger niece and there are several new KAL's on the horizon.


What's new ~  


  • I have discovered (somewhat late) the Single Handed Knits Podcast.  Melissa is the host and she podcasts from locations in Hawaii, where she lives.  She has some fun ideas and has organized a Sock the Vote event.  I am in the Undecided Party, since I have no preference for either toe up or cuff down socks.  The first challenge has been to knit 1, not a pair, non-adult sized sock.  She announced yesterday that we will receive further instructions regarding a message to include with each sock and her address for mailing.  She will provide them to a women's shelter in her area as a message of hope for these woman.  What a wonderful idea!  So far, I have three:






  • I received some lovely packages in the past week!  One was my Into the Whirled fiber club shipment.  I signed up for 8 ounces of each shipment, because I can't seem to get a decent yardage on my spinning yet.






  • The other package was an order from Wolfe Farms.  I'm really in the mood for fall, so I ordered some Apple Crisp Lotion and some other lotion and soap.  I placed my order on Friday evening and it was here on Monday!







  • And, finally, I had ordered a skein of yarn from Eat, Sleep, Knit and there was a scratch off card inside.  I won a Mitten Kit, so I checked that red was my preferred color, stuck the card in an envelope and mailed it.  I figured a month would pass  before I heard anything and fully expected a small skein of red yarn to knit mittens.  WOW!  I received a  copy of the Flocked Mittens Pattern and 2 skeins of Madelinetosh Tosh DK yarn, one in scarlett and one in antler.  I will definitely be ordering from them again!







Other news ~  We had a vet visit the other day and my little wirehaired miniature dachshund got a clean bill of health.  Based on some breathing abnormalities, Clover was discovered to have a hernia in his diaphragm last August and had pretty dangerous (and expensive!) surgery to move his liver from his chest back to his abdomen.  So, having the doctor say his heart was behaving normally was a tremendous relief.  That poor dog has packed many freak health issues into his 10 years!



No comments:

Post a Comment